Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Veresov (Read 17308 times)
RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Veresov
Reply #17 - 03/11/14 at 10:56:44
Post Tools
MartinC wrote on 03/11/14 at 09:33:06:
Yes, it is fundamentally an e4 based system

Transpositions to and from the Trompovsky are also possible. I had an assuming opening battle against someone determined to avoid typical Tromp positions. The game went 1. d4 c5 2. d5 (now if .. Nf6 then 3. Bg5 ) d6 3. Nc3 (now again if .. Nf6, then 4. Bg5) 3 .. d6 (which I suppose is in Veresov territory)

There's also the sequence 1. d4 Nf6 2. Bg5 e6 3. Nc3 and 1. d4 Nf6 2. Bg5 d5 3. Nc3

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 03/11/14 at 09:33:06
Post Tools
Yes, it is fundamentally an e4 based system Smiley

Still, White isn't commited to all the lines in those openings, more some sidelines. Not always dangerous ones of course, but it isn't an opening for people after mega critical lines.

IP Logged

BladezII

Member of chesspublishing
.com and STC Club

Reply #15 - 03/11/14 at 08:43:42
Post Tools
1.d4 e6 2.Nc3 d5 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.Bg5 Be7

Maybe White does not care to face the simple

4… Be7

but I think Black should be happy already since going to the old classical sideline is good.

5.Bxf6

Keeping it “Veresov”  with

[5.e3 0-0]

or

[5.Qd2 0-0 ]

is comfortable for black.

5...Bxf6 6.e4 c5

This has seemed to be comfortable for Black too.

I can see the point of the Veresov for players going into lines which avoid the Spanish, Sicilian, maybe some others too.

So White wants, if Black sets up for a transposition, is to head for the main lines of  (list may not be complete) –

The French

The Caro-Kann

The Pirc

The Modern

Is that the general consensus?

What PANFR said makes total sense to me.

I am a participating member of chesspublishing.com since 1998.

IP Logged

PANFR

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 03/11/14 at 08:04:50
Post Tools
BladezII wrote on 03/06/14 at 21:25:20:
A veresov player is a d-pawn player, what business does he have with the French now since normally that would be out of his practice?

A Veresov player is a 1.e4 player, who does not bother preparing stuff against 1...c5 and 1...e5.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #13 - 03/09/14 at 21:55:08
Post Tools
MartinC wrote on 03/08/14 at 09:28:49:
There is actually also what happened when I tried 1 .. e6: 1 d4 e6 2 Nc3 d5 3 Nf3!? Nf6 4 Bg5 Bb4 5 Qd3!?. Actually Hector seems to have done this once or twice too which is rather more of a recommendation!

I noticed that Hector played like that yesterday; his FM opponent replied 4...Nbd7, transposing to book stuff (after 5. e4 h6 6. Bh4 Black played 6...de, not taking up the challenge of 6...g5).  Aside from the possibility of 4...Bb4, I always figured that White would generally not care to face the simple 4...Be7.  Of course a couple of French transpositions are possible there, e.g. 5. Bxf6 Bxf6 6. e4 is an old sideline against the Classical.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 03/08/14 at 09:28:49
Post Tools
About 50 years of very sharp games Smiley Lots of decent white sidelines yes. Even just 5 ed is actually a perfectly reasonable try.

Its more of a problem for black to be honest - a standard Winaver player really can't expect to be able to 'common sense' the Mac.

There is actually also what happened when I tried 1 .. e6: 1 d4 e6 2 Nc3 d5 3 Nf3!? Nf6 4 Bg5 Bb4 5 Qd3!?. Actually Hector seems to have done this once or twice too which is rather more of a recommendation!

Anyhow not a French defense and presumably workable enough for both players.

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 03/07/14 at 10:23:25
Post Tools
MartinC wrote on 03/07/14 at 09:38:55:
Actually the MacCutcheon is very much a world onto itself, not terribly Winaver like at all. Very difficult to play well.

Could those who studied Fischer's book of 60 Memorable Games still base their theory and practice on his game with Rossolimo and the annotations? So apart from trying to refine the tactics in that game,  what else is new? It's been established that Be3 is possible instead of Bd2, but is there anything else that can send the game in a radically different direction?

MacCutcheon from a Veresov move order

1. d4 Nf6 2. Nc3 d5 3. Bg5 e6 4. e4 Bb4 5. e5 h6 6. Bd2 Bxc3 7. bxc3 Ne4
or
1. d4 Nf6 2. Nc3 d5 3. Bg5 e6 4. e4 Bb4 5. e5 h6 6. Be3 Ne4

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 03/07/14 at 09:38:55
Post Tools
There's a lot of decent enough sidelines against the Winaver/MacCutcheon, of the sort a Veresov player might very well chose to specalise in.

Actually the MacCutcheon is very much a world onto itself, not terribly Winaver like at all. Very difficult to play well.

I seem to vaguely remember the last time I tried this my opponent might have delayed e4 in favour of Qd3 first. That was a very short, very error strewn (drawn) game not helped by the folk dancing just overhead though Smiley

IP Logged

BladezII

.com and STC Club

Reply #9 - 03/07/14 at 05:58:33
Post Tools
Bibs,

As I said, your miles may vary.

From experience, real experience, every time I face the Veresov and I end up in the French, I have seen and felt that we ended up in something only I was excited or happy to see.

Also, when we ended up in the French, I could tell I was the only one who really knew what he/she was doing.

I don't face it very often, but every time I have, that's been the case.

Cheers.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #8 - 03/07/14 at 02:23:35
Post Tools
BladezII wrote on 03/07/14 at 01:37:18:
So, there is agreement -  White is practically forced to incorporate the French into his repertoire if he is going to take the Veresov seriously.

I do for sure consider the Black player being in home court advantage more often than not, to be modest.

Especially after we get into 1. d4  e6  2.Nc3 d5  3.e4  Bb4

Experience has shown that Winawer players are a special breed, like dragon players.  Very often it is their home turf.

Your miles may vary, right ?

Yes, of course one cannot play Veresov without knowing the French. Cannot see how anyone could disagree.

I never believe 'experience has shown'. That is just a hand wave, and means nothing, no? When anyone says 'research shows...' this is also a flashing warning light for the forthcoming nebulous.

When players sit down, think about familiarity of the opponent with different areas, and what knows of such oneself. That is what move orders are for, I think.

IP Logged

BladezII

.com and STC Club

Reply #7 - 03/07/14 at 01:37:18
Post Tools
So, there is agreement -  White is practically forced to incorporate the French into his repertoire if he is going to take the Veresov seriously.

I do for sure consider the Black player being in home court advantage more often than not, to be modest.

Especially after we get into 1. d4  e6  2.Nc3 d5  3.e4  Bb4

Experience has shown that Winawer players are a special breed, like dragon players.  Very often it is their home turf.

Your miles may vary, right ?

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #6 - 03/07/14 at 00:43:49
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 03/07/14 at 00:03:58:
If White is happy with the French and more happy with all the other critical Veresov lines than he is with 1.e4 not-e6 (Sicilian, Open Games, Caro etc.) then why not play the Veresov?
Many arguments about who is on "home court" strike me as silly. A Veresov player who isn't well-prepared for the French is just being irrational, and that's no fault of the opening. In fact, the Veresov isn't considered critical while the White side of the French with Nc3 is, so objectively White should be happy to reach the French when he has offered to waste his first-move nibble with 1.d4, 2.Nc3.

A Veresov player who isn't familiar with the French just should not be playing the Veresov. It is standard territory.
'Home court' is something that is worth considering, but many inexperienced players will lack the breadth of knowledge and understanding.

An example might be versus a BDG player, a weaker player. The game goes:
d4 d5
e4 e6
Nc3 Nf6
Bg5 Bb4

A Veresov player should know this. BDG players are notoriously narrow in their repertoires, so likely this is unfamiliar. Of course black needs to know the Mac. There is limited glee in getting an opponent out of theory, to be similarly baffled oneself.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #5 - 03/07/14 at 00:03:58
Post Tools
If White is happy with the French and more happy with all the other critical Veresov lines than he is with 1.e4 not-e6 (Sicilian, Open Games, Caro etc.) then why not play the Veresov?

Many arguments about who is on "home court" strike me as silly. A Veresov player who isn't well-prepared for the French is just being irrational, and that's no fault of the opening. In fact, the Veresov isn't considered critical while the White side of the French with Nc3 is, so objectively White should be happy to reach the French when he has offered to waste his first-move nibble with 1.d4, 2.Nc3.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #4 - 03/06/14 at 23:59:42
Post Tools
Yes, Veresov players must be ready for French. Pirc too. Not a problem.
In any lines, both sides can consider move orders, and some toing and froing, of course.

IP Logged

BladezII

.com and STC Club

Reply #3 - 03/06/14 at 23:48:44
Post Tools
I would say White looks like he has no choice.  But then again, play 1.d4 for that ?   Oh, well, to each his own.

Oh, and Black is the one doing the inviting to the French, not White, normally.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo